Grenfell Tower

Description

Smoke continues to rise from the smouldering shell of Grenfell Tower

Credits

Carl Court/Getty Images Alt Text

Grenfell Tower

More than 60 households are still living in emergency accommodation a year on from the tower block fire

In Depth

Thursday, June 14, 2018 – 6:22am

In the year since the Grenfell Tower fire, Theresa May’s government has made – and broken – several promises to the survivors of the worst tower block blaze in living memory.

See related

Grenfell Tower: rehousing deadline won’t be met, says government Grenfell Tower inquiry: what have we heard so far? Grenfell Tower site to become memorial for victims

Speaking in the Commons on the eve of the first anniversary of the tragedy, the PM made another pledge to those who lost everything in the fire that claimed the lives of 72 people.

“Let me again reassure the House that we are doing everything that we can to see that the survivors of Grenfell get the homes and support that they need and the truth and justice that they deserve,” she said during Prime Ministers’ Questions yesterday.

But many argue that the time for fresh promises has long since passed. “What is needed now is action, and specifically, permanent homes,” The Independent says in an editorial.

How many people still need to be rehoused?

In the wake of the fire, Housing Minister Alok Sharma assured survivors that Kensington and Chelsea council would provide residents of the 138 flats with a permanent home within a year. He also gave them the government’s guarantee that everyone would be rehoused in the local area.

In March, the government …read more

Source:: The Week – All news

      

(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
Grenfell anniversary: why haven’t survivors been rehoused?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *