Major League Baseball has suspended Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer for two full seasons (324 games) without pay, MLB commissioner Rob Manfred announced Friday.

Bauer’s suspension for violating the league’s domestic violence and sexual assault policy is effective immediately, MLB said in a statement.

The ban comes after a probe into the Dodgers pitcher by the league’s department of investigations after a woman came forward in June 2021 and said that the baseball star had punched and choked her during sex at his Padadena, Calif., home.

Bauer is appealing MLB’s decision. If Bauer is unsuccessful in his appeal, he’ll lose about $60 million in salary from the 3-year, $102 million free-agent deal he signed with the Dodgers in February 2021.

“In the strongest possible terms, I deny committing any violation of the league’s domestic violence & sexual assault policy,” the 2020 Cy Young winner wrote on Twitter shortly after the ban was announced. “I am appealing this action and expect to prevail.

“As we have throughout this process, my representatives & I respect the confidentiality of the proceedings.”

He has denied the woman’s claims and has maintained that the sex was consensual.

Earlier this year, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s office opted not to charge Bauer with a crime citing a lack of evidence. Bauer sued his accuser and one of her lawyers in federal court earlier this week.

Bauer last pitched on June 28, 2021. Bauer has been serving a week-to-week ban while MLB conducted its investigation. The two-year ban is on top of the games he has already missed.

– With The Associated Press

()

…read more

Source:: The Mercury News

      

MLB hands Trevor Bauer 2-year ban for violating league’s domestic violence policy

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *